Sunday, April 05, 2009

Chasing after the wind, looking for meaning.

Because of something that happened yesterday, I've been re-thinking questions I've had that have always been there. 

I find it hard so often to find beauty and meaning in things that are so so bad. Yesterday, someone who is very close to me, lost a very close friend of hers. The girl was shot. It came out today that she was shot by a friend of hers who she used to date. It also came out today that the girl was pregnant with a baby. The father was the gunman. 

Why do these things happen? Did God allow this? What purpose did this serve? What part does this play in big picture? Was this supposed to happen? Could we have stopped it? What am I supposed to do to provide comfort. I do not think we can ever have an explanation, and I am tired of hearing people try to find purpose in these things. 

3 Comments:

At 4/05/2009 8:21 PM, Anonymous Tank said...

I read this story and was deeply disturbed. I do not think we may be able to find an answer to the question of why these things happen. I am always reminded of God's response to Job.

 
At 4/05/2009 9:05 PM, Blogger Michael said...

There are no easy answers to these questions. We can try to find beauty in absolutely everything for only so long, before we start to see that there isn't beauty in everything. Sometimes things just go wrong, bad things happen, and it's nobody's fault but our own. No forces of Satan crippling God's children, no forces of God working for greater meaning in the world, just people doing terrible stupid things for terrible stupid reasons. Sometimes, I think, there is no greater meaning.

Or there is meaning that we can't possibly see, which is the answer most Christians will give. Is there a greater meaning that we cannot see yet? Is there some good that will come of this? Maybe, maybe not, we can only trust in God, and can not credit him, blame him, or blame Satan for this, because I don't believe everything is predestined to happen.

But surely God knew that this man planned to kill his friend, and surely God did not want his daughter to die like this. Surely, in all of His infinite power, he could have intervened in such a way that the man was not robbed of free will and the girl was not killed. We can never dare to claim to know what He is really thinking. But to say that is little comfort to the grieving.

I think some times there is no divine, perfect explanation for things like this.

 
At 4/05/2009 9:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Tank....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home