Monday, January 19, 2009

I have a dream.

This year, more than ever, I have taken a lot of time today to reflect on what a great man Martin Luther King was. We've always taken this day off of school, but I guess I just threw it in to the pile of holidays that I could care less about (like the ones having to do with war). But this year, I've taken a different approach. I don't know if it's because these days I'm more of a civil rights activist than in years past, or because Obama will be inaugurated tomorrow, or if it's a total coincidence. 

Anyway, today I was at Whole Foods, eating pizza. I was sitting a table close to the massage booth, which is up and running most days. The lady running the booth was an African American. While I was eating, a white gentleman walked by me and the booth and just looked at the woman and smiled and said plainly, "bless you" and the woman replied with a smile and a "thank you, very much." He didn't make a show out of it, and I was the only one who heard other than the two of them. 

But, this really touched me. 

As a middle-classed caucasian, Christian, I am anything but a minority. However, this year I am finally starting to grasp what a great thing MLK did for everyone. Not just for blacks, but for all minorities, and I think celebrating his 80th birthday with the inaugration of a black president during the same week, is the complete fulfillment of Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream. 

2 Comments:

At 1/20/2009 2:26 PM, Blogger Randall Weiss said...

I don't think it is the "complete fulfillment" of the dream. It's certainly an important symbollic fulfillment, and, I hope, a catalyst for more progress.

Thanks for sharing that story from Whole Foods. Those simple moments of love, kindness, and respect are beautiful.

I've been singing U2's song "MLK" to Audra at bedtime.
"Sleep, sleep tonight
And may your dreams be realised.
If the thunder cloud passes rain
So let it rain, rain down on he.
So let it be.
So let it be.

Sleep, sleep tonight
And may your dreams be realised.
If the thunder cloud passes rain
So let it rain, let it rain
Rain down on he."

 
At 1/20/2009 3:24 PM, Blogger Spencer said...

Yes, I guess I should have said that better. I was meaning exactly as you said, a symbol of fulfillment, because racism is still prevalent today.

I like that song.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home